Monday, June 11, 2007

June 11: Presidential Pop-ups and Downtown Miami

*Remember what I said last week about additional information about the presidential candidates during debates? Matthew Felling of CBS Public Eye has an interesting suggestion, which you can read at this link:

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2007/06/08/publiceye/entry2905496.shtml

Pop-up data? I like it! And I think the voters will pay attention.

********************

*Following Miami Herald stories last week about the comments of Macy's Florida CEO Julie Greiner about the condition of Downtown Miami, and Miami Today stories earlier this year about the prospect of Macy's leaving the downtown site I will always think of as Burdines, I think a different approach needs to be taken to repairing what ails the heart of downtown, the Flagler Street/Miami Avenue corridor, and its surrounding areas.

My mom worked at that Burdines, and we had friends who owned a nearby children's clothing store, so I spent a lot of time in that area when I was growing up. It's where Miami got started.

So bring the historians into the picture: Arva Parks, who wrote "Miami: The Magic City." Paul George, South Florida history teacher extraordinaire. Dorothy Jenkins Fields, head of The Black Archives Foundation. Let them join business leaders and government leaders and discuss what the heart of Downtown Miami should be.

No comments: